The advanced keratoconus wetlab course “Introduction to Bowman layer transplantation” provides detailed information on treating advanced keratoconus. The course consists of a one-day program scheduled on Thursday at NIIOS in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
During the course you will learn about current treatment options for advanced keratoconus. You will attend scientific presentations and observe an examination of postoperative patients. The specialists from Amnitrans EyeBank Rotterdam will give you step-by-step training in Bowman layer graft preparation. Next, our corneal surgeons will perform a Bowman layer transplantation. Both procedures will be displayed on a large screen so that you can follow along step by step at your own microscope.
What You Will Achieve in This Course
Our goal is that after you complete the advanced keratoconus wetlab course, you will:
- be familiar with the current treatment options for advanced keratoconus;
- know what the indications, results, complications and aftercare of Bowman layer transplantation are;
- be familiar with the preparation and preservation of donor corneal tissue used for Bowman layer transplantation;
- have observed 2-3 video surgeries and know the relevant clinical protocols for Bowman layer transplantation;
- have a solid foundation for Bowman layer transplantation in human eyes;
- feel confident in your ability to prepare tissue and to perform Bowman layer transplantation at your own clinic.
The group size is limited to 10 participants per course. During the entire course our multidisciplinary team will provide advice and guidance, so you will enjoy personal coaching throughout your participation. Please note that presence of Dr Melles is not guaranteed.
In addition to teaching you the Bowman layer transplantation technique, we want you to have an enjoyable time in Rotterdam, one of Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel Top 10!