NIIOS 20 years anniversary
In 2000 the Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery (NIIOS) was established by Dr. Gerrit Melles. We are an independent organization that innovates in ophthalmic surgery and for more than 20 years, NIIOS is dedicated to innovations in corneal surgery. In particular, NIIOS developed and refines techniques to transplant the cornea in conditions such as Fuch’s endothelial dystrophy, keratoconus and bullous keratopathy. These techniques, which have been the foundation of NIIOS, are now increasingly being adopted worldwide. NIIOS consists of four organizations that work closely together and complement each other:
- NIIOS Research and Development: develops and refines techniques for corneal transplants that are as invasive as possible.
- Amnitrans EyeBank Rotterdam: takes donor tissue, processes it, and then delivers it to the medical specialist. We also develop our own innovative techniques for preparing the donor tissue.
- Melles Cornea Clinic Rotterdam: provides ophthalmic care to patients, mainly with corneal disorders based on the techniques developed by NIIOS.
- NIIOS Academy: trains in self-developed techniques, including fellowships, courses, symposia, events and lectures during conferences.
NIIOS is the only organization in the world that offers these four disciplines under one roof. The cooperation and the close connections inspire us to innovate and improve processes. As you all know, 2020 is a very turbulent year, also for us at NIIOS. However, we would like to continue to develop and innovate. For example, we hosted the first NIIOS Cornea Evening – Live Online broadcasted from Rotterdam on June 6th 2020, at 4 PM CEST!
Since our first NIIOS Cornea Evening – Live Online was a big success, we will be hosting a second NIIOS Cornea Evening – Live Online on the 21st of November 2020! Despite the different format compared to our previous evenings, we are again honored to have internationally renowned speakers from different institutes worldwide.
Lighthouse Guild is postponing our Bressler Vision Science Symposium until the fall of 2021. In that fall symposium they will recognize the 2020 Bressler Prize recipient, Gerrit Melles, MD, PhD from NIIOS. This price is annually recognizing a mid-career vision clinician or scientist whose leadership, research and service have led to substantive advancements in the field of vision.
On Saturday, June 6th, 2020 we organized our first virtual NIIOS Cornea Evening – Live Online. Like in our previous evenings, the faculty includes trendsetting and pathbreaking corneal experts from all over the world who shared their innovations, experiences and strategies.
This research was published in the May issue of Acta Ophthalmologica and explains combined specular microscopy and scheimpflug imaging to improve detection of an upcoming allograft rejection after DMEK.
Find out more about Descemet Membrane Endothelial Keratoplasty: Evaluation of 10-year graft survival and clinical outcomes of the first case series after DMEK.
- NEW DATES WETLAB COURSES:
DMEK: September 29/30; November 24/25 2020 –
BOWMAN LAYER TRANSPLANTATION; October 1 2020
ADVANCED DMEK: November 26 2020
- UITREIKING TILANUS MEDAILLE AAN DR GERRIT MELLES
- MELLES RESEARCH FUND
- WATCH THE SURGICAL VIDEO AND CLINICAL OUTCOME OF THE FIRST DMEK PATIENT